The world knew her as a formidable woman who had a tremendous influence on both society and culture. Elizabeth Anne “Betty” Bloomer Warren Ford – commonly known as Betty Ford – took on different roles in her life with great élan. An activist, businesswoman, dancer, model, feminist and the most active First Lady of the United States, Betty Ford fought for equal pay and ERA. She took a tough stance on the use of drugs, having herself battled with an addiction to alcohol and painkillers for some time. Staving off breast cancer as well as addiction, Betty Ford was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for her immense contribution to society. She had a clear understanding of the impact that chemical dependency had on both the individual and their family, and it drove her to found the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, California in 1982 together with her friend Leonard Firestone.
Since opening its gates, the Betty Ford Center for substance abuse has treated thousands of people and helped them recover completely from their respective addictions. Active encouragement and a well structured approach allow doctors and counselors at this rehab clinic to develop tailor made packages, incorporating a variety of treatments, which are gender-specific. 50 percent of the clinic is reserved for women, while the rest is for men. Allowing them to be treated separately achieves better results, the Center claims. Aside from treating those with a chemical dependecy, the Betty Ford Center also offers Family Programs that educate their members on the various aspects of addiction and drug abuse and a Children’s Program for kids aged 7 to 12, who live with chemically dependant parents.
The center offers various programs:
- Residential – a 12 Step recovery program for residential members, which addresses the medical and psychological troubles of the patient
- 90 Day Treatment – designed for chronic relapsers, those doing a prolonged detox, and patients who have undergone numerous past treatments through spirituality and similar processes
- Licensed Professionals – a customized program for professionals like doctors, lawyers, pilots, pharmacists and nurses who have to fulfill certain requirements in order to retain their license
- Young Adults Track – aimed at men and women aged 18 to 25. The program provides intensive leadership training and teaches skills development, nutrition, career development, educational planning, anger management, and building family relations
- Clinical Diagnostic Evaluation – this is a medical assessment of individuals to determine whether they are chemically dependent and focuses on treating psychiatric conditions such as mood swings, chronic pain, psychological and cognitive functioning and personality and relationship problems
- Outpatient – this program treats patients who decide not to check into the clinic, but remain living at home and make regular visits
Like any famous rehab clinic (such as The Promises), The Betty Ford Center is well-known for its price-tag. Many celebrities have stayed at the clinic, including sex symbol Anna Nicole Smith. Though countless ordinary people have also sought treatment there, they all had one thing in common besides addiction – deep pockets.
Click here to find out more about Celebrities with Addictions.
Image: http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/55/15/551560_162e164c.jpgTags: addiction rehab