Sick Celebrities

Celebrities

Shawn King recovering from medication overdose

david

Shawn King suffered a prescription medication overdose on May 28. The Associated Press reported talk show host Larry King’s wife was rushed to hospital after her father found her breathing, but unresponsive, in bed at her Utah home. According to reports, Shawn’s father, Karl Engemann, repeatedly yelled and slapped his daughter, only to find she’s open her eyes halfway before shutting them again.

CNN reports Shawn’s father believed it was an accident, citing a transcript of his 911 call. When he was asked whether the overdose could have been intentional, he said: “No, no, no, it wouldn’t be suicidal. I don’t think she did it on purpose or anything, but she may have overmedicated.”

Paramedics who were called to the scene reportedly found multiple empty prescription medication bottles. The bottles had reportedly all been filled within the previous 10 days. TMZ.com lists the prescriptions found at the scene as: Compro, Prometrium, Clonazepam, Ambien, Klonopin, Subutex, Cymbalta and Lyrica

Larry and Shawn King

A police report confirmed the medication bottles at the scene were anti-depressants and to treat anxiety. The police report also mentions a note found near the bottles, “indicating that she was leaving, or that she might hurt herself, such as that she wished to be buried in Utah.”

Whether the overdose was a suicide attempt remains to be clarified. Shawn was taken to a Utah hospital where she was in a critical condition.

Larry and Shawn had filed for divorce in April this year, only to have since reconciled. While Shawn’s condition at the moment remains unknown, Larry has issued a statement.

“I am extremely supportive of Shawn,” he said. “Reports that we have fought are absolutely false. I love her dearly.”

50-year-old Shawn is Larry’s seventh wife. The couple have two sons.

Two celebrities who died of an accidental overdose include Heath Ledger and  Adam ‘DJ AM’ Goldstein. Billy Ray Joel’s daughter, Alexa, purposefully consumed too many prescriptions drugs in an attempted suicide.

Images: PR Photos

Tags:
Back to top