Actress Sandra Bullock has recently revealed the secret to her slender figure. After being asked how she keeps her “banging body“ by RadarOnline, Bullock replied “Lipo – lots of it – tons of liposuction“. The 45-year-old Hollywood beauty joked that she maintains her enviable figure by having constant liposuction proceedures.
Joke or not, liposuction is now the most popular type of cosmetic surgery in the U.S., according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, with almost 4 million people undergoing the proceedure annually.
Liposuction is the removal of fat from beneath the skin. It is designed for people near their normal body weight who want to remove stubborn fat deposits, which have remained resistant to diet and exercise. It is not designed for weight loss. Due to potential health risks, the proceedure is not suitable for those 20% over their normal weight or those over the age of 40, as the skin’s elasticity is likely to be limited.
The proceedure can be performed on almost any part of the body where an accumulation of fatty tissue occurs. It is usually carried out in one of two ways:
- Ultrasound-assisted Lipoplasty (UAL): this is preferred by clinics. An ultrasonic vibrating probe is used to “liquify“ the fat before it is suctioned. This is either done externally, over the surface of the skin, or internally.
- Tumescent Technique: here a saline solution is injected under the skin, into the affected area. The solution is then given time to diffuse through the fat before it is removed. This technique is safest, causes less bleeding and allows a faster recovery, but it is much more expensive.
Liposuction can take between 2 and 5 hours and cost between $3,000 and $10,000. The surgery is performed on an out-patient basis.
Recovery time depends on the individual and the area operated on, but patients should expect some of the following side effects, which can last from 1 week up to 6 months:
- Bruising, swelling and discomfort
- Possibility of assymetry, saggy skin, infection
- Need to wear restrictive clothing to help skin re-shape
- Temporarily restricted mobility and activity
Those wishing to have liposuction should take care when picking a clinic, as there is no standardized training required to perform the proceedure, meaning any physician is qualified to do it. It is advisable to go to a reputable cosmetic surgery clinic or to a dermatologist. It is also important to know that the clinic is adequately equipped to assist you should there be any complications.Tags: cosmetic surgery fat plastic surgery skin surgery