Upon arriving at court dressed in a very clingy white number, Lindsay Lohan headed inside to plead not guilty to the charge of first felony Grand Theft, after allegedly stealing a $2500 designer necklace.
The court were far from lenient on the ‘Machete’ actress, a film in which she was cast as a sexual-deviant turned nun, taking a very tough stance with her. She was warned that any further arrests, no matter how trivial, between now and the next hearing on February 23rd would result in jail time.
At the Los Angeles Superior Courthouse, Superior Court Judge Keith Schwartz told her in no uncertain terms: ‘If you violate the law I will remand you and set no bail.’
And to add weight to his statement he said: ‘Look around this room. Everybody else has to follow the law. You’re no different than anyone else. So please, don’t push your luck.’
Her many previous convictions have undoubtedly played on the minds of the prosecution but with this being her first felony the judge was quick to warn her that the situation had changed dramatically.
‘You’re on a different situation now that a felony has been filed against you.’ He told her.
The hearing was brief and Lohan kept quiet for the most part before being formally charged for the crime and taken into custody where yet another mug shot was taken.
The court set bail at $40,000, $20,000 of which was for a probation violation that dated back to a 2007 arrest, the other $20,000 for the alleged theft. Her lawyer, Shawn Chapman told the court she would pay the bail.
The item at the centre of the crime is a designer necklace which was allegedly stolen by Ms. Lohan from a boutique in Venice, California. It was returned to the police last Wednesday by Lohan’s stylist, and according to reports she was seen wearing it just a few days after it was reported stolen by the Kamofie and Co. jewellery store.
Some friends of the actress have stated that she thought the necklace had been loaned to her, but as a way of calming the situation she sent flowers to the boutique, an action which led the court to slap a restraining order on her, barring her from any contact with the jewellers.
Ms Holley told the judge that her client ‘vehemently denies’ all allegations and that she has continually complied with the terms of her probation.
The district attorney’s office has apparently considered three previous incidents of accused theft perpetrated by Lohan, including a $12,000 mink coat which she allegedly stole while at a club in New York in 2008, and in 2009 she was linked to the disappearance of a $400,000 necklace during an Elle Magazine photo shoot. She was also accused of stealing a $35,000 Rolex watch from a friend.
She wasn’t prosecuted or convicted in any of those cases but sources involved said that prosecutors had been influenced by the prior crimes when making their decision.
It’s a triangle of doom for the addiction addicted actress who is still under investigation for an alleged assault incident against a worker at the Betty Ford Center, and also facing a lawsuit from a spray tanning company in Las Vegas who claim she still owes them for two years worth of fake tan treatment.
No doubt we’ll hear more from the social hand grenade that is Lindsay Lohan, but she perfectly embodies the ‘age of the idiot’ in which we find ourselves living today.
Share your thoughts on Lohan’s continuous links pilfering by leaving a comment.
Read about her spray tan lawsuit and possible risks associated with spray tans, the original accusation over the necklace, her failed drug test, and more trouble in rehab.
images: PR Photos, gulfnews.comTags: Lindsay Lohan