Missing Vegas showgirl Debbie Flores-Narvaez was beaten by her ex-boyfriend, Jason “Blu” Griffith, while she was pregnant with his child.
On October 22nd the couple fought in a Las Vegas street over an iPhone, People cites a police report as saying. Griffith, also a show dancer and an aspiring rapper, grabbed the device from his girlfriend and tossed it about 100 feet. As Flores-Narvaez bent down to pick it up, he pushed her and, she claimed, kicked her and pulled her hair, a clump of which was later found and photographed by police as evidence. In addition, police spotted bruises on both of her legs. At the time, the showgirl says she was pregnant with his child.
Following the incident, Griffith was arrested on domestic violence charges. The report had previously gone unnoticed until the disappearance of Flores-Narvaez on December 12th after going to Griffith’s house.
According to CBS News, in a report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Flores-Narvaez’s mother, Elise, said she got a text message from Debbie on December 1st saying:
“In case there is ever an emergency with me, contact Blu Griffith in Vegas. My ex-boyfriend. Not my best friend.”
When Elise questioned her daughter about the message, she said to “keep it for your records.”
But Debbie’s sister, Celeste Flores-Narvaez did not seem suspicious: “I don’t make anything of it. Just because you did something once, that doesn’t mean you’re likely to do it again,” she said according to CBS.
“Every missing persons case has potential to have foul play involved, but at this point we have found no indication of foul play,” says Las Vegas Police Lt. Rob Lindquist, according to People.
Griffith, who has been described as “cooperative” by police, said he did in fact see Flores-Narvaez on the day she disappeared, saying that she had been at his house and then left to meet up with friends.
“She was fine and everything appeared to be fine,” Lindquist said. Her car, which was recovered a few days after her disappearance, was “drivable,” according to the police officer.
On Tuesday, Las Vegas Judge Nancy Oesterle set a preliminary hearing for Griffith on the domestic violence charges, one misdemeanor and one felony on April 14th, People reports.
Griffith’s reaction to the report was admitting that he had argued with his girlfriend that night, but denying having hit her or taken her phone.
The couple had been dating for around a year and friends and family have described their relationship as volatile. Surprisingly, the incident on October 22nd did not split them up, although the pregnancy did not go to term, for unknown reasons. They stayed together, but by the time of Flores-Narvaez’s disappearance were having problems again, according to People.
“It was a rocky relationship from what I understand, a lot of ups and downs,” Celeste Flores-Narvaez told the magazine.
Click here to read more about Debbie Flores-Narvaez’s disappearance.
Images: Wikimedia Commons and helpfindthemissing.org