The recently deceased Amy Winehouse reportedly bought a variety of drugs on the night before her death. The songstress was apparently seen buying substances possibly including ecstasy, cocaine, ketamine and even heroin from a dealer at around 10.30 pm in Camden on Friday night. She is also said to have been drinking heavily that night, which may have helped trigger a lethal reaction.
A source told The People: “Amy seemed determined to have a big one on Friday night. She was out in Camden on Friday evening, but seemed determined to carry on the party back at her flat. None of us know who was with her into the early hours of Saturday. But getting out of it was clearly her main priority of the night.”
The information was seconded by another source from a Camden pub, who said that Winehouse was seen buying cocaine from a well-known dealer in the area.
The Sunday Mirror, in the meantime, received information from friends of the singer that they believe the star died of an adverse reaction to a bad pill, made worse by the large quantity of alcohol she had consumed.
“It was an ecstasy overdose. She could do cocaine until the cows come home. But this was obviously a dodgy pill.”
Winehouse is also known to have suffered from emphysema – a disease affecting the lungs, which causes shortness of breath. A post-mortem is due to be carried out today to determine the exact cause of death. She was found dead at her Camden home yesterday from a suspected drug overdose.
The singer has become the latest addition to what has come to be known as ‘Club 27’. Musicians including Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin are among those who also passed away in their 27th year. Almost all these deaths have somehow been linked to drug abuse, alcoholism or suicide.
Although suicide has not been pinned as the likely cause of Winehouse’s death, it is known that she was struggling with her break-up with director Reg Traviss at the time. A much bigger struggle, however, came in the form of drug addiction. Winehouse had had several public meltdowns during her time in the limelight and more than a few stints in rehab.
Fans have been leaving flowers, candles and message outside her North London home since news of the death emerged. They have also been gathering in the singer’s favourite pub – The Hawley Arms. Winehouse was a valued customer and had previously been photographed pouring pints to customers herself.
The pub’s owner told the Independent on Sunday: “She was a special person with a good soul and this should not have happened. We will sorely miss her.”
Winehouse’s management, Metropolis Music, released a statement today saying: “We are trying to come to terms with the death of a dear friend and colleague, the most amazing artist and talent. We will always remember Amy as a vibrant, funny, caring young woman who made everyone around her feel welcome. We have lost a very special person, part of our family.”
Click here to read about other stars who died too young, including River Phoenix, Ryan Dunn, Heath Ledger, Brittany Murphy and Andy Irons.
Images: Ivo Garcev and petercruise on Flikr